Friday, June 15, 2018

Become a Pro with the VZO: the Volume Zone Oscillator (My Favorite Indicator)

Please, give me some feedback when you finish or even just let me know you found value in this post. I know when I used to read blogs, I always assumed they knew how helpful their blogs were or that enough people bother them since they have "so many followers". Trust me,  that number is small and I would love to hear anything you have to say. 

I ALWAYS use VZO in my trading setup.  If you stumbled upon this, you're welcome and I wasted my time trying to find the educational articles/info on the Volume Zone Oscillator too, so I would find solace in knowing no one else has to do that....and that I don't need to keep introducing the VZO to Traders who ask me why I love it so much...here it is all in one place.
Decide for yourself:


Above is my setup using VZO overlayed on my volume subchart.

I won't get too into it since I am no Guru and I don't want to take away from the point that these are all related somehow, and I have chosen to end up at VZO with the understanding this is superior to the rest based on how they are derived, the signals it gives, and all that jazz.  I remove all the lines on the VZO study since there are way too many lines that it just becomes counterintuitive.

Consider as you learn about this technical indicator that the lines I keep on my chart (and I chose based on what I learned) are the ZERO and the -40 lines.  Beyond that, I disable the rest.  This is because I decided that by using these 2 lines I would get the SAFEST signals.  Again, I don't want to misstate a fact and take away from what I'm saying, so I want you to research and study are whether we are using VZO as: entry/exit signals? Overbought/oversold territory? Bullish/bearish? Support/resistance? and how do these relate to each other? (i.e. If we get a strong signal on our VZO, but we may not have much chart support/resistance -- what do we make of that? How do we adjust our trade?)

Lastly, consider that VZO shares a relationship with the following indicators, and that you should be wary about using multiple of these together, and should definitely consider how they are related, what makes one better than the other, etc. Using multiple from this list (which is not all-inclusive, others likely fit in here too) may lead to multicollinearity in your trading setup and contribute to giving you analysis paralysis, which is a FRUSTRATING phase to go through.  Regardless on what you go with,  you want to ensure confluence in your trading setup and understand the reasoning behind what you use and what you do. I have met too many Traders unfamiliar with the indicators they are using, yet struggle to understand why they keep losing.  

- VZO/OBV/CMF/MoneyFlowIndex/AccumDist/VolumeMovAvg/TwiggsMF/VolumeRoC

  1. http://www.highgrowthstock.com/wpstorage/pdf/blog-hgsi-davesteckler-vzo-pzo.pdf  
  2. http://traders.com/documentation/feedbk_docs/2011/05/TradersTips.html
  3. http://tlc.thinkorswim.com/center/reference/Tech-Indicators/studies-library/V-Z/VolumeZoneOscillator.html 
  4. http://penguintraders.com/forums/topic/volume-zone-oscillator-discussion/ 


"Note that the Vzo will react to that volume behavior by staying in the lower zone between -40 and zero, indicating more selling pressure than buying pressure. Conversely, on this chart, one can observe the Vzo oscillating in a range between zero and +40 as the market is in the first wave of the up move during the second half of December."



I really hope this serves its purpose and someone out there finds this valuable.  There was not 1 single other resource out there that I could find that has all this valuable info in one place, nor filtered out all the junk I didn't need to know.  

Again, please give me any feedback you may have or notes you took/resources you find. I am not a Guru and would love to hear from you if you made it this far, even just to let me know you read this and found value in me taking the time to put this together.

2 comments:

  1. Great info! Keep up the good work! I am so happy to be trading along side you in the United Traders chat room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gap! Same goes for you. Appreciate the feedback!

      Delete